I now want to discuss the major areas of work for 2016.
This is the first year of the decisive stage in finishing building a moderately prosperous society in all respects and a crucial year in carrying out structural reform. To ensure that the government’s goal for this year is accomplished, we must do the following:
– hold high the great banner of socialism with Chinese characteristics;
– implement the guiding principles of the 18th National Congress of the CPC and the third, fourth, and fifth plenary sessions of the 18th CPC Central Committee;
– follow the guidance ofDeng Xiaoping Theory, the Theory of Three Represents, and the Scientific Outlook on Development;
– put into practice the guiding principles from General Secretary Xi Jinping’s major policy addresses;
– work in accordance with the overall plan for promoting all-round economic, political, cultural, social, and ecological progress and the Four-Pronged Comprehensive Strategy;*
* To make comprehensive moves to finish building a moderately prosperous society in all respects, deepen reform, advance the law-based governance of China, and strengthen Party self-conduct.
– continue reform and opening up;
– follow the new vision of development;
– follow the general principle of making progress while working to keep performance stable;
– adapt to the new normal in economic development;
– follow the general guidelines that macro policies should be stable, industrial policies targeted, micro policies flexible, reform policies practical, and that social policies should ensure basic needs;
– maintain a balance between ensuring steady growth and making structural adjustments;
– ensure that the economy operates within an appropriate range;
– strengthen supply-side structural reform;
– accelerate the fostering of new driving forces for development;
– strengthen traditional comparative advantages;
– cut overcapacity and excess inventory, deleverage, reduce costs, and strengthen points of weakness;
– strengthen basic safeguards for public wellbeing;
– prevent and control risks.
By working to achieve all of these, we should get off to a good start in economic and social development during the period covered by the 13th Five-Year Plan.