When opening a conversation, it's best to choose safe topics like the weather, jobs, sports, hobbies and interests.
1. Where are you from? This is often the first question people ask each other. You could reply with a country or place, e.g. I'm from England or I'm from Dallas.
2. Is this your first trip to New York? This is a common question if one person is a visitor.
3. It's hot today, isn't it? Talking about the weather is a common small talk topic, especially in Britain.
4. What do you do for a living? This means Where do you work?, or What's your job?
5. Did you see the match last night? Sports can also be a good small talk topic, but this might lead to arguments if you support different teams!
Topics to avoid
Although it depends on your culture, in general you should avoid taboo topics like politics, religion, age and marital status.
6. How old are you? Age is a sensitive topic, especially when a man asks a woman her age.
7. Have you put on weight? You should avoid comments about appearance. You might think you are paying someone a compliment, when you are actually offending them!
8. How much do you earn? Most people dislike talking about money and would be embarrassed if you asked their salary.
You can also improve your small talk techniques with these tips:
9. Ask follow-up questions to keep the conversation going. For example, if someone says, "I saw a really good film last night", you could reply by asking, "Really? What was it about?"
10. Use appropriate responses to show you are listening. Suitable expressions include Oh?, Wow!, That's great! or That's too bad.
1. Where are you from? 这通常是彼此问候对方的第一个问题。您可以回答国家或是地区，比如说I'm from England或是 I'm from Dallas。
2.Is this your first trip to New York?对于游客来说，这是一个很常见的问题。
3.It's hot today, isn't it?谈论天气是最常见的话题，尤其是在英国。
4. What do you do for a living? 意思是Where do you work?或是What's your job?
5.Did you see the match last night?体育也是一个很好的话题，但是你们如果是分别支持不同队伍的话，可能会引起争议！
6.How old are you?年龄是很敏感的话题，尤其是当男士询问女士年龄的时候。
7.Have you put on weight?您应该避免对外表作出评论。您认为您在讚美别人的时候，有可能实际上已经冒犯了别人！
8.How much do you earn? 大多数的人不喜欢讨论金钱，如果您问到他们的薪资时，他们会觉得非常尴尬。
9.您可以问下面这些问题使对话继续。例如，如果有人说"I saw a
really good film last night"，您可以用疑问的语气回答， "Really? What was it about?"
That's great!或是That's too bad.