cold hard 冷酷的，冰冷而坚硬的
I don't want to believe it, but it's a cold hard fact.
She is a cold hard woman.
1. ADJ If a person or their expression is 【hard】, they show no kindness or sympathy. 冷酷无情的
His father was a hard man.
2. ADJ If you are 【hard on】 someone, you treat them severely or unkindly. 严厉的
Don't be so hard on him.
3. ADJ If you say that something is 【hard on】 a person or thing, you mean it affects them in a way that is likely to cause them damage or suffering. 难以忍受的
The grey light was hard on the eyes.
4. ADJ If you have a 【hard】 life or a hard period of time, your life or that period is difficult and unpleasant for you. 艰难的
It had been a hard life for her.
5. ADJ 【Hard】 evidence or facts are definitely true and do not need to be questioned. 确凿的
He wanted more hard evidence.
6. ADJ 【Hard】 drugs are very strong illegal drugs such as heroin or cocaine. 烈性的 (毒品)
He then graduated from soft drugs to hard ones.
7. PHRASE If you say that something is 【hard going】, you mean it is difficult and requires a lot of effort. 艰难的
The talks had been hard going at the start.
8. PHRASE To be hard hit by something means to be affected very severely by it. 被...严重影响
California's been particularly hard hit by the recession.
Only you study hard can you get good results.