lesson73. Don't Be a Fish out of Water
Do you sometimes have a hard time understanding what Americans are talking about among themselves? Do
you want to know why? The answer is, Americans are crazy about using slang. They tend to over do it, though.
Otherwise, slang is fun to use. You should try it. And some slang is easy to understand. For example, if
someone is "off the hook," it means that he is no longer in trouble. The "hook" is a fish hook. If a fish is
on the hook, of course, it is in trouble. If it is "off the hook," then it is out of danger. Didn't we tell
you slang is fun? Besides, it should at least help you feel more at home and not like a fish out of water
when you speak to Americans.
slang 不可数 a slang experssion or two slang expressions 不说：a slang
feel like a fish out of water 觉得别扭，不舒服
I have a hard time (in可省略) writing this love letter. difficulty,trouble 不可数 problem 可数
be crazy about 疯狂喜爱
to over do it 做得过火 Old people shouldn't over do it when (they are) excerising.
To work with him is fun. = He is fun to work him.
Bruce was in trouble, because he broke the window.
The table hooked my shirt and tore it.
feel at home 自由自在
- lesson1. Rome Wasn't Built in a Day
- lesson2. How to Improve Your English
- lesson3. The City of Song
- lesson4. He Who Hesitates Is Lost
- lesson5. Bungee Jumping
- lesson6. Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gaine
- lesson7. Doctor Death
- lesson8. No Hearts or No Brains?
- lesson9. Be Thoughtful
- lesson10. What Are Friends For?
8. No Hearts or No Brains? Helen and Dick are talking about the previous article. H: I don't understand how peop...