President Xi Jinping was among world leaders who sent condolences to Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II over the deadly explosion in Manchester that killed 22 and injured more than 50 on Monday night.
Xi expressed deep sadness on Tuesday for those who died and offered sympathy to the relatives. At this difficult moment, the Chinese people firmly stand by the British people, Xi said.
Premier Li Keqiang also sent a message of condolence to British Prime Minister Theresa May on Tuesday.
A suicide bomber triggered an improvised explosive device in the midst of a crowd of young pop fans and their parents at Manchester Arena as US pop star Ariana Grande finished a sellout show. Manchester medical staff said 12 children under 16 were among the 59 hurt. The dead included an eight-year-old girl.
Chinese consular officials in Manchester said there had been no casualties reported among the Chinese community, although some Chinese students had been at the concert.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility on Tuesday through its social media channels.
Manchester police said the bomber was killed in the attack. They later said they had arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the attack but gave no further details.
It was an attack that "shocked" the nation, said the queen, who offered her "deepest sympathy" to the victims.
This attack stands out for its appalling, sickening cowardice, May said. "We struggle to understand the warped and twisted mind that would bring carnage to young children. Terrorists will never win - our country and our way of life will always prevail."
In London, police said extra armed officers would be on the streets as a precaution.
Eyewitnesses in Manchester spoke of bodies strewed on the ground, covered in blood.
Eyewitness Andy Holey, waiting to pick up his wife and daughter, said: "As I was waiting, an explosion went off and it threw me about 30 feet from one set of doors to the other set of doors."
When I got up I saw bodies lying on the ground. My first thought was to go into the arena to try to find my family. It was definitely an explosion and it was some force. It happened near the box office at the entrance to the arena.
UK Home Secretary Amber Rudd issued a statement saying: "This was a barbaric attack, deliberately targeting some of the most vulnerable in our society - young people and children out at a pop concert."
Hong Kong’s Asia World Expo, where Ariana Grande is to hold a concert in September, said it would improve security at all concerts and events. Baggage inspection, metal detectors and search dogs are expected, Reuters reported.