Unit 18 Dating Other Couples
(1) 0ne of the many great things about being married or with a partner is not having to worry about meeting and dating new people-or so one might have thought. As Elizabeth Bernstein points out in her Bonds column in today's Personal Journal section, "couples dating" brings a whole new set of issues as the partners try to meet suitable friends.
Take the experience of Ben Houten and his wife, who've "dated" an array of couples since moving to Grand Rapids, Mich.，three years ago: They had one "date" where the woman was self-absorbed, another, Mr. Van Houten recalls, where the man was "a complete dud with no sense of humor," and a third that was ruined by politics. When Mr. Van Houten got up his nerve and asked a neighbor and his wife out to dinner，the man replied，"I don't like people. "
And the date, Elizabeth says, is merely where the stress begins. "Because what if they don't cal1? Should you contact them? And if you do, and you still don't hear back, what does that say about your relationship with your partner? Are you irritating? Insufferable? Uninteresting as a team?"
(2) After reading Elizabeth's tales of couples who suffered through dates where a wife licked cheese off a knife, or where one spouse asked the other if it was time to "go sleepy in the beddie"-and if you think back to your own couples-date mishaps-your might wonder why it's worth it at all. But looking around at your group of friends，whom you no longer need to date，tells the story.
"Research shows that couples who are friends with other couples have happier, longer-lasting relationships with each other," Elizabeth writes. The reasons are simple. If you have friends who enjoy you as a couple, you may feel better about your union. These other couples can be a support network. And the process of making new friends together may inject energy into your relationship and give you something to bond over.
My wife and I were fortunate to develop a great group of friends soon after moving to the suburbs six years ago. (3) 0ur initial couple's dates went so smoothly that I don't really remember them as dates, per se, and since the initial getting-to-know you phase we've become so close that we just booked a vacation house for next summer that five families will share (10 adults and 11 kids!).
在6年前搬到郊区居住后，我和我太太很幸运地结交了不少朋友。（3）起初，我们和其他夫妇的交往进展得非常顺利，以致于我几乎没把它们归结为“约会”。大家在经过了一开始的互相了解阶段后就打成了一片，我们5家人刚刚为明年夏天预订了度假屋，想想看，共有 10个成人、 11个孩子!
On the other hand， we've had some couples dates that didn't seem 10 take. A while back we had a great dinner at the home of a couple who were new to our church. We laughed, shared personal stories and seemingly bonded-the question was not whether we'd next get together, but when. The when turns out to be about two years and counting, and I'm not really sure why. Just one of those things.
What have your couples-dating experiences been like? Have you made good friends that way-or had some horror stories?
1. One of the many great things about being married or with a partner is not having to worry about meeting and dating new people-or so one might have thought.
本句是一个or连接的并列复合句。第一句中is not having to worry about meeting and dating new people是第一句的谓语结构。
2. After reading Elizabeth's tales of couples who. suffered through dates where a wife licked cheese off a knife, or where one spouse asked the other if it was time to "go sleepy in the beddie"-and if you think back to your own couples-date mishaps-you might wonder why it's worth it at all.
本句是一个复合句。主句是you might wonder why it's worth it at all，其中包含了一个why引导的名词性从句，作wonder的宾语。who引导定语从句，修饰couples。其中两个where引导两个定语从句，修饰 dates。在第二个定语从句中， 1何|导的名词性从句作asked的直接宾语。第二个if引导条件状语从句。
3. Our initial couple's pates went so smoothly that I don 't really remember them as dates, per se, and since the initial getting-to-know you phase we've become so close that we just booked a vacation house for next summer that five families will share (10 adu1ts and 11 kids!)
本句是一个复合句，主句是Our initial couple's dates went so smoothly。后面的that引导一个结果状语从句，与so相呼应。 phase后面 we've...share作phase的宾语。其中第一个that引导结果状语从句，与so相呼应，第二个that引导限制性定语从句，修饰a vacation house。