美剧里最常说的20句俚语(下)

作者:admin

来源:

2019-3-11 15:33

简单熟悉的词组合起来却能表达新的意思,美剧中最常说的俚语大盘点。

11. Draw the line

停止;判定好坏的分界线

Now I draw the line at speaking in front of 34,000 people.

现在我结束了在34000人前的讲话。

12. Easier said than done

说起来容易做起来难

You want me to come to work at 6:00 AM? Easier said than done!

想让我6点就开工?说得容易!

13. Every cloud has a silver lining

困境中总会发现转机

Even though you just got fired, remember that every cloud has a silver lining – at least you don’t have to work for that grouchy boss anymore!

即使你被解雇了,你也要记住,柳暗花明又一村。至少你再也不用为那个坏脾气的老板工作了!

14. Finding a needle in a haystack

根本找不到

Trying to get a new job these days is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

这些天找份新工作真是不可能的事。

15. Fish out of water

不得其所,格格不入

Tom felt like a fish out of water at the Star Trek convention his new girlfriend begged him to attend.

汤姆的新女友央求他去《星际迷航》的影迷会,这让他感到浑身不自在。

16. Get something off your chest

说出困扰了你很久的事;承认你做错了某事

I have to get this off my chest – I copied your answers on the Redesigned SAT. Thanks for the 15th percentile score, by the way.

我得承认,在入学考试时我抄了你的答案。顺便感谢你让我进了前15%。

17. Give it a whirl

尝试做某事

I’ve never gone kite-boarding, but I’m prepared to give it a whirl!

我从没玩过风筝冲浪,但我准备尝试一下!

18. Go down in flames

在众人面前失败

The football player's career went down in flames after the media learned he'd been losing on purpose to settle gambling debts.

在被媒体爆出身负赌债后,这名足球选手的事业一落千丈。

19. Go the extra mile

加倍努力

My dentist always goes the extra mile, offering free back massages at the end of a stressful tooth extraction.

我的牙医总是非常尽心,会在令人紧张的拔牙后给病人按摩。

20. Hang in there

有耐心,坚持下去

I know you're struggling right now in school, but just hang in there. It'll get easier. I promise.

我知道你现在在学校里的日子不好过,但你要坚持下去。一切都会好起来的,我保证。