1. Most doctors of the Colonial period believed _______ was caused by an imbalance of humors in the body.
A. in disease
B. that disease
C. of disease
D. about disease
2. In 1976 Sarah Caldwell became _________ at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City.
A. she was the first woman to conduct
B. the first woman conductor
C. the woman was first conducting
D. the woman conducts first
参考译文:1976,Sarah Caldwell成为在第一个在纽约Metropolitan Opera House演出的演奏家.
补充: 常考 the first/second/… one to do sth
3. On January 7, 1955, Marian Anderson became _________ to sing a major role at New York City's Metropolitan Opera House.
A. the first African American
B. the first African American was
C. she was the first African American
D. when the first African American
参考译文:1955年1月7号,Marian Anderson成为在第一个在纽约Metropolitan Opera House担任主唱的美籍黑人.
4. Perhaps the most significant postwar trend was the decentralization of cities throughout the United States, _________ when massive highway-building programs permitted greater suburban growth.
A. and accelerated a phenomenon
B. a phenomenon that accelerated
C. accelerating a phenomenon which,
D. the acceleration of which phenomenon
分析:考的是同位语结构,a phenomenon是 the decentralization of cities throughout the United States 的同位语.A中and为conj.,后面应该连接一个完整的句子,但缺主语,错;C中语序混乱,错; D中of which作为介词宾语,后面应该接一个完整句,但只有一个phenomenon主语,句子不完整,错.
补充: accelerate/ accomplish/ achieve/ evolve都可以是vi.不接宾语
5. Ronald Reagan had served two terms as governor of California before _________ President.
A. he became
B. when becoming
D. did he become
6. _________, domesticated grapes grow in clusters, range in color from pale green to black, and contain sugar in varying quantities.
A. Their botanical classification as berries
B. Although their botanical classification as berries
C. Because berries being their botanical classification
D. Classified botanically as berries
分析:句子的主语是grapes , 后面是平行结构grow…, range…, and contain….空格后的句子已完整,那么空格处就应该是同位语,状语从句,分词等修饰成分.A中Their指代不明,而且classification和berries也不相符,错;B中Although为conj.,后面应该是完整句,错;C中Because为conj.,后面应该是完整句,错.
7. The cymbal is_________in the military band and is also frequently used in modern orchestral music.
A. a basic instrument
B. basic instrument
C. how basic an instrument it is
D. as an instrument is basic
8. In instrumentalist philosophy, ideas and knowledge are exclusively functional processes: they are of significance only _________ instrumental in the development of experience.
A. as they are
B. are they
C. there are
9. _________ either by cooling or by depriving the fire of oxygen, and most do both.
A. Working fire extinguishers
B. Fire extinguishers that work
C. Fire extinguishers work
D. The work of fire extinguishers
10. The introduction of mass-production methods enabled many people _________ and gave them an unprecedented amount of mobility.
A. to purchase their own automobiles
B. their own to purchase automobiles
C. to their own purchase automobiles
D. own their automobiles to purchase
分析:为固定结构enable sb to do sth.