Beginning a Presentation
Shawn: Thank you, Alex. And thank you to everyone who is here today. As you know, today’s presentation is designed to present our recommendations about how Vision Corporation can increase its market share by reaching more of its potential market.
You should each have a copy of our handouts in front of you that correspond to the slides up here on the screen. This first slide shows our agenda for the day.
First, I will begin with an overview of how our market share has been declining during the past twelve months, and the reasons for that decline. Then, Ms. Graff will present the data that she gathered from the focus groups and her ideas for clarifying our target market. She will be followed by Mr. Hanson, who will discuss adapting our product to meet market needs, and he’ll conclude with our main recommendations.
首先我想概述一下过去一年里我们的市场份额是如何下滑的以及下滑的原因。然后，Ms. Graff 将会呈现从顾客群收集到的数据以及为目标市场分类的创意。然后是Mr. Hanson，将会讲述调整我们的产品来满足顾客需求，然后他会总结我们的主要的建议。
Since we have limited time today, please hold your questions until the end of the presentation.
to be designed to – to be made or created for a specific purpose
* The Internet was designed for scientists, but today almost everyone uses it.
recommendation – suggestion; advice, usually about what someone should do; one’s opinion about what another person should do
* The recommendations of the American Heart Association include eating more fruits and vegetables and exercising regularly.
market share – the percentage of sales that a company has in a specific market
* The market share of the two largest Japanese car companies is growing in the United States.
handouts – papers that are given to people in the audience during a presentation
* When you make handouts, don’t forget to leave space for people to write their own notes on each page.
to correspond to – to match up with; to be related to
* The colors on the tickets correspond to how much people paid for their tickets.
slide – one page or picture in a visual presentation that is shown on a screen (flat white surface) so many people in a room can see it
* Your presentation will look more professional if each slide has the same colors and text size.
screen – a large piece of white fabric that hangs on a wall and is used to display pictures and images during a presentation so that many people in a room can see it
* We didn’t have a screen, so we had to show the presentation on the wall.
agenda – a plan; a list of topics for a meeting; a list of things that will be discussed in a meeting and for how long
* If they follow the agenda, the meeting should last only two hours.
first – before anything else; to begin
* To make a cake, first turn on the oven.
overview – a summary without very much detail; a broad view of something
* The first chapter of the book has an overview of the county’s history, but the rest of the book is about the war.
to decline – to decrease; to become less or smaller; to fall
* The governor reported that the number of crimes is declining in our city.
then – next; later
* To go to their house, take bus number 42 across town and then get off at 122nd Street.
data – information; facts; results from a research project
* The scientists have gathered a lot of data from their experiments over 12 years.
to gather – to collect; to get from many sources or places
* The researchers called 100 homes to gather people’s opinions about the new law.
to clarify – to make something clearer or more understandable
* Could you please clarify what you just said? I don’t think I understood you correctly.
to be followed by – to have as the next event; to finish and to have something else begin
* Their wedding was followed by a large party at a restaurant.
to conclude – to end, usually a presentation or discussion
* Ms. Sanchez concluded the presentation by thanking everyone for having come to hear her speak.
to hold (one’s) questions – to wait to ask questions until the end of a meeting or presentation
* The presenter had to ask everyone to hold their questions. Otherwise, he wasn’t going to have enough time to finish his presentation.